I am pleased to announce the second edition of our tlsplace writing competition Write Right.
This second installment promises to be bigger, more exciting and a lot more rigorous than the first. You can read all about the first Write Right HERE.
- To discover new writing without the entry barrier of being published anywhere already
- To reward and encourage these new writers
- To introduce these new writers to the readers using this platform as a springboard
- To provide an avenue to get these writers to improve, as the only way to write better is to write
- To provide post competition support for entrants to go on to publish their books, start their own blogs or contribute to existing publications. JUST TO DRIVE YOU TO PUT YOUR WRITING OUT
- In the end to cause an explosion in the volume and quality of writing happening, starting from the unshackled online world.
Since the first Write Right, many of these goals have been achieved with many of the entrants
- The winner, Olaniyi Afolabi has gone on to run a successful blog and contributes to others. He is currently working to complete his book
- Tomi Adesina currently runs a successful blog and has written very popular online series including Dear Future Husband which was syndicated on many sites including 360nobs and ran for 30episodes. She has also written the script for Deadline, a soon to be launched TV series
- Oladimeji Ojo who has published his book, Monitored and runs a successful blog as well as part of the collective responsible for Boiling Pot of Madness
- Unen Ameji who has published her book and now runs an online resource for readers
- Walter Uche who runs a successful blog and has written a very popular 29part series Eze Goes To School
- We’ll be going on radio and TV with some of these individuals in the course of the competition
The Write Right competition is beyond the prize; it is about supporting the flourishing of new writers.
WRITE RIGHT 2 – HOW TO ENTER
- YOUR ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED ON OR BEFORE SUNDAY DECEMBER 15, 2013
- Read my online series Broken Mirrors. Find all the episodes HERE.
- Write a 1,500 word alternate ending to the story. Your entry must not be more than 1,500 words.
- Email your entry in MS-Word format as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org The MS-Word document must be saved as your story title.
- Do not include your name or any other personal identifier in the MS Word document. We’d like to judge stories on their own strength.
- Format the MS-Word document as follows. Font must be Courier New. Font Size must be 12 and line-spacing should be double line-spacing.
- The subject of the email must be as follows Write Right 2 Entry – by Your Name.
- In the body of the email list your name, phone number, location (city and country).
- Ensure spelling, grammar and paragraphing are properly done. Judges will not do any editing for your entries and they will check these parameters
- The top 5 candidates will be required to write a 4-part series after they have been selected by the judges. Please be prepared to do this in the event you make the top 5.
- Judges will select the top 5 from all the entries received within 2 weeks of closure of entry receipt and these top 5 entries will be published on tlsplace
- The top 5 entrants will be contacted by email and we will request for their 4-part series. They will be required to submit an episode weekly for the 4 weeks.
- Note that your 4-part series must be original and must not have been previously published anywhere.
- One episode of each entrant’s series will be posted on the same day weekly.
- Readers will then vote for their favorite entrant’s episode in that week. Readers have one vote per episode per week. Multiple voting is strongly discouraged.
- Voting for each episode closes once the next episode is posted. This is effectively a one week period
- Judges will also vote weekly. However, each judge’s vote carries a weight of 50 times the regular reader’s vote.
- The entrant with the cumulative highest number of votes wins the competition.
- THE SERIES WRITING AND VOTING PHASE OF THE COMPETITION WILL RUN FROM JANUARY 6, 2014 TO FEBRUARY 1, 2014
- THE WINNER OF WRITE RIGHT 2 WILL GET A CASH PRIZE OF TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND NAIRA (N250,000)
- Entrants will also have our support for their post competition writing endeavors.
THE PRIZE GIVING EVENT
- A prize giving event will be held on February 9, 2014 .
- Venue for the Prize Giving is Best Western Hotel, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos
- Details of this will be communicated in due course
- You can see pictures of the prize giving event for the first edition HERE
Ebun is one of the pioneers of the new wave of writing in Nigeria. She worked with Farafina and then with True Love magazine as Features Editor before moving on to build a thriving PR business. Multi-gifted, Ebun is also a successful jeweler. Literature remains top on her list of passions and she returns as a Write Right judge in this 2nd edition.
Pa Ikhide, as he is addressed on social media is one of the most well known literary critics out of Nigeria. He was a columnist with Daily Times and Next Newspapers. Highly sought after for his forthright and unreservedly strong opinions on issues, Ikhide reiterates the most basic of truths about writing in his twitter bio where he says “I am not a writer. I am a reader who writes”. Sometimes, his erudite dog Siddon Look PHD takes over his twitter account and says things that even Pa Ikhide would not ordinarily say. Follow him on twitter @ikhide
One of pioneers of web development and blogging in Nigeria, Oye co-founded 360nobs.com and it has grown to become one of the most read websites in Africa.
A seasoned Project Manager, Oye is a music enthusiast, with arguably one of the largest collections of music owned by an individual on Nigerian music. He is also a professional editor, with an eye for searching out great stories and bringing it to a wider audience on 360nobs. Follow him on twitter @oyeakd
Journalist, TV and radio broadcaster, compère, blogger, actress, critic, chef, Tolu’s talents are an eclectic mix which she somehow excels in. She hosts Morning Crossfire on Nigeria Info 99.3FM. Tolu reads anything that can hold her attention in the first five pages. Tolu returns as a Write Right judge in this 2nd edition. Tolu is @reinalydia on twitter
SO, OVER THE NEXT TWO WEEKS, LET THE ENTRIES BEGIN TO ROLL IN!
If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up on twitter @tundeleye OR @olaneeyie
NB: We’ll be starting the next series A Little Bird Said next week now, to give room for us to get Write Right Two rolling properly.